Thursday, August 16, 2007

Dis and Dat

I have to get over this thing where I feel the need to post pictures when I want to blog. There's been lots to blog about: Cross-Country, floating, running, shooting, organizing, etc... But here are more pictures. The above is where we camped on the most recent float trip down on the Current River. As far as I've found, the Current River is the best river to float on if you want good scenery and cold, spring fed water. You'll have to leave your beer bong and jello shots at home for this river though because they are trying to improve the level of enjoyment for everyone on the river. This ain't the party cove after all. Moving on...

This is part of the land I'm getting to develop into a cross-country course behind the high school. Uh... it needs some work. It's been brush-hogged, but it needs to have a path mowed into it, smoothed some, and treated for various blood suckers. We started practice on the 6th and used the land but had to quit using it because the ticks were so bad. So over the next couple of years it should turn into something better. Here's a couple more shots of some of the land. The big loop is 1.7 miles around.

This is actually a good hill with my Element at the bottom. It might even make a good cyclo-cross course someday. It'd be cool if Josh could set up a race there sometime in the future. But like I said, it needs work. That's alright though because the runners do too. One kid got dizzy at practice. After a little questioning I found out she hadn't eaten breakfast or dinner the night before because she was too busy. They'll get there though. I took them to a running clinic and for a visit to Dr. Pam of sports nutrition this week. I think they're getting the picture. Much thanks to Pam and Amy for their time. If you have a catchy phrase to put on the T-shirts for cross-country we're going to get done up for the kids, let me know. I was thinking something like "I'm faster than your mama on her way to bingo night at the VFW". Just let me know if you have any ideas.

What the heck kind of bug is this? They were on one of our trees outside this afternoon. Kind of dangerous looking.
Ziggy (below) and Olivia say hi. They're not so much on this heat. The past couple of weeks have been hard times on outside life. We started CX practice just in time for some good triple digits. Luckily, we've been starting practice at 7:00am when it's only about 85 degrees outside. I think we got Dallas, beat on the heat. I'm getting tired of taking three showers a day.
Here's one kind of flower we have that doesn't seem to mind the heat.
Otherwise things are just cruising along. School starts next week. We'll probably get out early some the first week since some of the buildings don't have AC- although they should in the next couple of years.
I've been shooting my bow a lot since bow season starts in a month. I have big plans for the deer this year- I've been shopping for a deep freeze. I can put 3 of 4 arrows in a three inch circle at 30 yards at this point. That should be deadly enough.
I'm ready to have a bike again. Not sure what I'll do about that, but it's been good to be away from it for a while. I'm predicting to do well at the GatewayCup this year since I'll be riding a Vespa. Should be an easy win everyday.

1 comment:

Ted C. MacRae said...

That bug is called the 'wheel bug' and belongs to a group called assasin bugs - good name for them since they can bite the shit of you! Good thing you only took its picture and didn't try to pick it up.