Thursday, May 21, 2009

Messing with a man's vehicle


Some things are valued by women that men don't really care about. Other things are valued by men that women don't really care about and don't understand why men would value them. One of those things to this man is his ride. I've had several cars, trucks, and SUV's in the time I've been driving. Ever since my first car, 1979 Volkswagon Scirocco, I've always taken the best care I can of my vehicle. It's just something I do. Some vehicles don't need as much care. I used to have a Honda Element with plastic quarter panels that weren't painted. I could lean my bikes up against that thing and not worry about any damage. Also, all those vehicles were fairly cheap. I'd take care of them like they were worth much more than they were, but I knew little things happening to them was not a big deal.

Now I have a Honda Ridgeline RTL- the best of the Ridgeline line. This is the nicest vehicle I've ever owned and I see no need to ever go beyond. So I take care of it like I plan to have it until it dies. Maybe 10 years- who knows? So I do what I have to in order to keep it in like new condition. Don't get me wrong- I use it for everything from hauling wood to mowers to furniture. But inside it's a luxury ride: big comfy leather heated seats, lots of room, tinted windows, quiet, and a way smooth ride.

I always walk extra in parking lots so I can have plenty of room to keep others away from my ride. I don't double park- I think that's rude. But I always take the extra precautions to keep it safe.

Yesterday, Leslie and I went to Flatbranch to meet with a group for a friend's birthday. There were no places to park at or around the restaurant so I wound up going to the parking garage. I parked on the end of a row near a handicap space and hugged the line of the handicap spot so anyone parking on my other side would have plenty of room. When we came out there was a piece of shit old rusty pickup parked next to my truck. When I got to my door I could see that the passenger of that heap had hit my door with his/her door hard enough to leave a nice amount of their paint on my door. It had been a hard hit but I guess the angle of the strike was such that a dent didn't happen. Since I was kind of dark in the garage I couldn't see how much damage there was, but I could tell that it wasn't just a matter of the other person opening the door and "oops" it tapped my door. It was scraped hard like, "Hey look at that nice truck I don't have, I guess I'll make a statement with my piece of shit and take them down a notch." As you can imagine, I was pissed. I knew immediately what I was going to do to satisfy my need to even things out. The air was to be released from the tires because what's worse than a flat? Four flats. What's worse than four flats? Four flats you can't fill when the air valves are removed. But... at the request of my wife and her informing me there were security cameras in the garage, I backed down and drove home. When I got home I immediately went into action with my arsenal of car care products. Luckily, I was able to remove the other vehicles paint from mine and buff out the scratches to the clear coat. So I was relieved and satisfied.

It wasn't so much that it happened because we all know accidents happen. It seemed very intentional though. It wasn't a tight parking spot and it could have easily been avoided. The bottom line is this: I do not mess with people, their lives, or their property no matter what value I would personally place on it. It is theirs and I respect that. You know, do unto others as you would have them do to you. I want and expect the same from others. I really just want to be left alone and allowed to do what I want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. But when you mess with me or my family or property- it's on and not easy to turn off. I don't get doing things to others that are negative, but I do have a streak of wanting revenge.

The whole situation reminded me of a scene from "Pulp Fiction" that you can view here on the YouTube.

2 comments:

Prozenberger said...

Wow, man, you have more control then me. I would have waited for them to come back...and then it would have been ugly.

Brian said...

I had somebody egg my car once, which peeled the paint off of the hood and front bumper by the time I realized what had happened. No amount of buffing was going to save the paint job on that particular car.

I had somebody "TP" the trees in front of my house about a year later. I appreciated that prank a lot more.