Thursday, April 10, 2008

29 days to go

Time moves slowly when you are bored and detached from what you're doing. That's pretty much the feeling I've had for a while now at work. I am cooked for the year. Next week is the second part of the MAP test (math portion), and after that I think I'll feel even more done since that test is the pressure cooker of the schools today. Somehow, someone along the way decided that the MAP is a good way to judge the quality of job teachers are doing. As if student performance is a direct reflection of the job I do. Yeah right, and every kid who wants to be a pro football player will be as long as his coach is good enough. I'm just ready for this year to end. I wouldn't recommend getting into education to anyone. Sure, you get the summer off. But I assure you, you'll do 12 months worth of work in the 9 months school's in. You are tied down for the school year. I've been doing this for eight years now and I'm very efficient at what I do. I don't take work home and I don't come in extra early to get caught up. It all happens between 7:20 and 3:20. At the end of the day though you're lucky if you have the energy to use the few hours you have free before going to bed at 9:00.
Yes, this is a rant- which I rarely do on this blog because I just don't want this blog to have that vibe. I don't like to read constant complaining on other blogs, so I try not to do it here. Since this blog is mine though, I'll choose this time to leave it as a rant session.

5 comments:

kal said...

It's GOOD to see a post! Was getting a bit worried about you ... such as you getting swallowed up by the education beast. Sounds like you have evaded that scenario.

I admire public school teachers. You all have to deal with parents believing that every problem their kid has is your fault, you can't just "get rid" of a client, and you are never paid enough to justify the work and stress.

My sister started off as a substitute school teacher for maybe a year. She quickly learned that she just couldn't do it full time.

Beefcakes said...

Yeah, it's good to be back in the cyber world. I need to write. It makes me feel better.
As far as the teaching goes- substitute teaching is actually harder than full time since you're spending the whole day at a huge disadvantage of knowing less about what's going on than anyone else- including the students.

Viola Jaynes said...

Jbeefcakes, one of our neighbors teaches Junior High Computer and he pretty much says the same thing that you say here. I am like Kal, hats off to all of you teachers!

Looking at other options, especially when you're still so young, is never a bad idea. Life is too short not to love what you do for so many hours every day.

Take care!

Prozenberger said...

There is a bike in your garage waiting to be ridden by you.

RockDoc said...

Dude, I love that print from Dali!