Thursday, February 07, 2008

ISS Post

It's been a long time since I posted from ISS. Mostly because it's changed a lot for the worse. It used to be a place where kids would come and have to do their school work for the day and then read. Well our new asst. principal, who has never actually worked in the ISS room, changed some things about it and now it's a constant struggle of paper pushing to and from students. It makes the poor choices of students who get into ISS the ISS supervisor's problem. But that's the way things have been going around here. Instead of teaching the students responsibility, it's taken off them and put on the teachers. I'm not subscribing to this.

But yesterday was interesting. Keep in mind this is middle school- 6-8th grade. Five students. By the time I get there, a lot has happened. One kid has given prescription meds to two other kids. His backpack was searched and they found pot. Two girls had to be separated because they are lovers. And one girl's backpack was searched and razor blades found which she uses for cutting herself. "Oh, my dad knows I've done it before." Uh, I would classify this situation as "ate up". What happened to the good old days of fights and running the halls? If you think you have any concept of what middle school and high school is like now based on your experience from 10 or more years ago- forget it.

5 comments:

kal said...

wow. I assume that "ISS" is the modern term for "detention"? I am amazed at things these middle school kids are getting into - or maybe I'm not surprised anymore. But yes, a far cry from fighting and running that I remember from my junior high days.

Viola Jaynes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Viola Jaynes said...

Beefcakes, this is very scary and sobering. My son is in 4th grade and will start middle school next year. I still keep thinking that most kids are as innocent as my son is, but I guess that simply is not so. Frightening!

Judith Kaufman said...

why do you think things have changed so much and why do you suppose that teens and pre-teens want to be so self destructive? it is really scary if you ask me.

jordan said...

bahahahaa !
thatss hilarious,
i got ISS before for texting,,
yupp... those were the dayss !
lol.. im still in middle school,
8th grade actually.. but those
problems are nothing compared to
my school ! ahahahahaahhahahaha