Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Easy Hunting


This summer my wife's uncle came up with an idea to build a hunting blind that his son (and anyone who wants to stay out of the weather) could hunt from. He asked me if I knew anyone who'd be interested in helping with the project and I came up with one name- Meathead. So I asked Meathead and he agreed and we started planning. I was the middle man going between Rick and Meathead (Eric) planning the project. The I got a supply list, took it to Lowe's in Eric's truck, filled one of those big lumber cart things until it was so heavy I had to push on it for about two seconds before it started to move, and then headed it out to the truck to find Eric's truck wouldn't start. About an hour later and figuring out the problem I drive across town and Eric and I build the base for this blind. Weeks later we take the base and the rest of the lumber out to Rick's farm and start putting this thing together. We prebuilt all the walls up at the shed and quit for the day. The next week we came back and put the walls on a trailer and took them down to the spot for the blind and started getting everything in place. We worked until dark that day and got the roof on while using the lights on the tractor to see what we were doing. Then we came back again and set the windows (which are Andersons) and put on the shingles. It was quite an ontaking but it turned out great. the actual "box" is 5'X6' inside with 7' high walls. The platform is 8'X6'. There is a trap door in the bottom of the box with a ladder going to it. There is also a ladder going to the 2'X8' landing on the backside of the platform. From the landing you can take the third ladder to the roof and hunt from there as well. Each window has been offset from the one across from it to prevent wildlife from looking straight through the box. The screen over the windows is screen that you can shoot through either with a bow or gun. Not all the screen was up when the pictures were taken. The inside of the box is painted black so it's nice and dark. It's almost impossible to see into the box with the combination of the screen and black interior. It was a big project that turned huge. The finished product is really cool though- so it was worth it. I don't know that I'll ever hunt out of this blind, but you could spend the coldest day hunting in it very comfortably. I need to take some pictures of the view from this blind. It looks out over a field that stretches for about 300+ yards. The blind is backed up to a small wooded area and hills are on both the left and right sides. Maybe I'll get some pictures of that this weekend when gun season opens.

2 comments:

bocomo1969 said...

Maybe a place to keep something filthy that you want to keep away from the general population - something really filthy? Jimmiez?

Is it Jimmy proof?

kal said...

I really REALLY miss hunting. Can't do that here in urban america let alone, I have seen Texas deer and they are so small that it probably wouldn't even be worth it!

While I shot my first deer from my bedroom window, my subsequent deer during my teen years were hunted/shot on foot. My grandfather and dad didn't believe in stands or lookouts. But I tell you what, they didn't hunt when it was extremely cold ... and they certainly would have used your lookout if they had one!