Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Roots, Blues, Rock and Bikes

Columbia is a cool town. I've posted and boasted about this before, but it keeps getting better. It's cheap to live here, it's got lots of stuff to do- both indoor and out, culture, rednecks, gays, bi, lesbians, curious, Christians, Atheists, left-wingers, right-winger, intelligence, morons, city mice, country mice, hunters, anti-hunters. Everything and everyone. City parks, state parks, dog parks. Good weather, bad weather, moderate and extreme weather. Well, I'm starting to sound like Dr. Sueuss so let me get to the point. This weekend we have the BCNB Roots and Blues Festival. It's going to be pretty cool. Music and BBQ competition for two days. Did I mention it's free and even Taj Mahal will be here to open the weekend. Checkitout . I didn't realize it, but apparently I could enter the BBQ contest. I'm not going to toot my horn too much, but I think I could do pretty good with a big ol' pork loin like we had at Leslie's birthday last November. That thing weighed about 12lbs and there was nothing left by the time the sun went down. Then on the following Wednesday, Wilco will be here to play a show on 9th St. in front of the BlueNote. I may not make that show since tickets are high dollar. I could always just hang out on the corner down the street I guess and bring a pair of binocs. Then, on 9/11 the Tour of Missouri starts with one of the stages ending right here in C-Town. All this and Tiger Football. I must be living right.

2 comments:

kal said...

DANG! I wish I would have known about this a few months ago. Would be even more push for me to make the trip up to visit. I love blues music and like attending blues festivals.

Last summer, Jon W. went with me up to my birthplace of Wheeling WV for a blues festival there on the Ohio River. It was kick ass.

Check out Ana Popovic, Diunna Greenleaf, and Buddy Guy - they were all there. I think you might like Ana. (all their links are on my blog under the sidebar "Scores")

kal said...

Speaking of BBQ... I should send you some of my own steak rub - been honing the recipe for two years now. All kinds of ingredients including ancho and pasilla peppers that I dry myself and some 'secret' ingredients that add some earthy depth to the smoky spiciness.