Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Tidbits

Last Saturday I was on a ride with Ozenpro and The Meat. They were telling stories about guys getting their finger caught between the chain and the chainring on their bikes. Sounded terrible. I was actually kind of glad to end that visual at the end of the discussion. So two days ago I got my finger caught between the chain and the chainring. Yeah, that's as bad as I thought it would be. I guess what makes it worse is the fact that all the stories, including my own, happend with a fixed gear bike where no coasting is allowed and fingers don't come out right away. They kind of go in and leave you with the choice to either go all the way around the chainring or stop the wheel and back the finger out the way it came in. I chose backing the finger out. It all happened really quick and blood was on the floor before I could scream, "holyshitgoddamnmotherfucker!"
The story isn't that interesting, I was cleaning my chain with a rag. The rag got caught in the chainring, pulled my finger with it a bit too far, and then the finger goes in between the chainring (fingernail side to the ring) and the chain, and then I get a full puncture through the fingernail with one of the teeth on the chainring. What is interesting is the irony of just having been talking about this very thing happening and having it happen to me. So be careful what you talk about, and if you're around me talk about finding huge wads of money on the side of the road, or eating large amounts of sushi, strangers buying drinks at the bar, whatever. Just keep it positive and painless.
In other news: It's hot outside. Pretty much the way it should be considering it summer. I'm no good at frying chicken but I keep trying. I'm trying again tomorrow night.

No comments: